Thursday, January 22, 2009

THE ABOLITION OF MAN

What a confusing read!  While reading this one I admittedly slipped in and out of understanding and I'm sure that I did not grasp the entire concept of the piece.  For my blog, I'm going to analyze the main summary points.  Lewis speaks about miseducation, and talks about how impressionable we are at a young age.  It is so vital to teach what's important and correct from the beginning so that we can hold these opinions longer.  This is vital in Christian education because the sooner a believer gains their faith, the more time they have to build their faith if they choose to do so.  

However, it's not only important to be sure that what is being taught is Christian, but also important to avoid teaching non-Christian beliefs from uncultivated souls.  Those who don't know God personally are not able to present things in the same way that a devout Christian can.  

Basically, what I took is that current education cannot be focused on non-Christian beliefs or "cultural" beliefs of this world.  Wouldn't this thought undermine all non-Christian education?I'm not sure if this was Lewis' intention.  If it is, I would have to disagree with Lewis' thoughts on the matter.  I went to a public school where God was most certainly not acknowledged or praised, but I can say with assurance that I learned a great deal about God and my relationship with Him in attending public school.  Even though He was not mentioned, He was still present in the interactions I would have with other students and the difficult decisions I was forced to face.  As Christians, it is important to build up a community to prepare the coming kingdom, but we shouldn't rule out all secular thought; much of it can lead indirectly to Christ.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Clare,

    I do believe Lewis was talking about the ‘Moral Law’ already existent in the Human heart and how education can help the ‘misinterpretation’ of these laws written in the human heart, leading the students astray “In a sort of ghastly simplicity, we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked when we find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then we bid the geldings to be fruitful”. These, for example could be subjectivism, where the teacher tells the student that the only thing he can trust is his own emotions…
    I do agree that non-christian schools can be a blessing too! However, the student needs to be strong, have a good support group and have strong moral values…The education of the ‘chest’ has to come from the home!
    Cheers,
    Adriana & Paulo

    ReplyDelete